GUIDANCE AND DISCIPLINE POLICY
Our goal in Georgi’s Home Daycare, is to help children create a positive self-image, to control and express their emotions and to understands their and others feelings.
We try to reach our goal by teaching them social and problem solving skills, and providing a positive, enriched environment where the children feel confidence and independence.
The discipline strategies used are as follow:
1. Create a preventive environment which means:
- A well planned environment with close supervision, gentle guidance and a friendly and open communication with parents.
- Maintaining realistic expectation of children
- Provide an individualize program that are according to the child’s developmental needs and interest.
- Provide enough material for the children
- With one direction at the time, and simple language according to the child’s age, also we can use sign language if the child requires it to communicate.
- Use I message: I do not like see the food throw on the floor.
- We use affirmative statements” Climb down, please” Instead of “Do Not” or “No”
- The language use must be specific and related to the child's behaviour not to the child. Rather than say for example “Good boy or Good job” say exactly what the child is doing well. “I like the way you are using the colours”
- Redirect child’s attention to appropriate activities that interests him or her
- Encourage the process and ignore inappropriate behaviour when it is possible
- Give choices between appropriate alternatives and interest
- We use the word “stop” or direct intervention in situations that the children could be at clear risk of hurting self, others or equipment.
- We use logical consequences for the children’s action. Rather than punishment or time out.
understand his or her own feelings and others feelings according to his
or her age.
6. Modeling appropriate behaviours
- We carry a flexible open minded, respectful and calm attitude that response to individual and group needs.